After independence of Pakistan, Central Statistical Office (CSO) was setup by the Government of Pakistan in 1950 as an attached department of Economic Affairs Division. Since then statistical system was reviewed from time to time by both local and foreign consultants. In 1972, on the recommendation of IBRD Mission, Central Statistical Office (CSO) was upgraded to a full-fledged Statistics Division. The Division was re-organized in 1981 and its technical wing (the then CSO) was converted into Federal Bureau of Statistics (FBS) as one of its attached departments. As a step forward Government of Pakistan has established Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, by merging Federal Bureau of Statistics, the Population Census Organization, The Agriculture Census Organization and the Technical wing of Statistics Division.
Functions of PBS
- Collection, compilation and analysis of statistical data relating to various sectors of economy
- Publication of statistical data
- Supply of statistical information to Federal Ministries, Provincial Governments and other organizations
- Research with a view of improving statistics
- Exchange of statistical information with foreign countries
- Technical advice and statistical coordination with other departments
- Evaluation and introduction of standard concepts, definition and classifications pertaining to national statistical series
- Clearance of statistical projects undertaken by different organizations
- Evaluation of efficient computation methods for statistical estimation
- Implementation of policy laid down by the Statistics Division by suitably adopting the Statistical System of Pakistan to conform with the policy
- Undertaking the National censuses and surveys
Main Activities of PBS
Collection and compilation of statistical data relating to various socio-economic sectors through primary, secondary sources and administrative records of the government:
a) PRIMARY SOURCE
- Price Statistics
- Labour Force Statistics
- Demographic Statistics
- Household Income & Expenditure Statistics
- Statistics on Social & Economic status of household
- Private Building Construction Statistics
- Population & Housing Census
- Agriculture & Livestock Census
b) SECONDARY SOURCE
- Statistics of Manufacturing Industries
- Social Statistics like Education, Health, Sports and Culture
- Mining and Electricity Undertakings Statistics
- Business and Communication
c) ADMINISTRATIVE RECORD
- Foreign Trade Statistics
- Public Finance Statistics
- Publication of Statistical data.
- Supply of Statistical information to Federal Ministries, Provincial Governments and other National & International Organizations.
- To provide advice in technical matters like sample designing and preparation of questionnaires to other agencies/departments
- Evaluation and introduction of standard concepts, definitions and classifications pertaining to national statistical series.
- Evaluation of statistical methods for estimation.
- On job training to the working statisticians of various Federal/Provincial organizations.
- Preparation of National Accounts.
- The General Statistics (Reorganization) Act, 2011
- Draft Report on Service Structure and Service Rules
- Addendum to the Draft Report on Service Structure and Service Rules